Monday 28 May 2007

3 weeks Post-op and my Dietitan is a party Pooper

Today was my 2nd post-op appoinment with the dietitian. After 15 min of her talking about her sinus infection and allergy we started to get onto the subject I was there about..... ME. She then started a lecture on the cons of drinking Diet coke and other fizzy drinks while having the band , I tried to tell her that not a drop had passed my lips in 3 weeks, but she seemed on a roll so I grinned and beared it.

Finally she asks all the routine "what have you been eating" , "how where the mushies going" , "Am I counting my calories" , " Have I introduced different textures". I told her all the good things I had been doing and then the naughty things like the sausage, fillet-o-fish, and salt & vinegar chips while I was supposed to be on mushies. She was ok about it and said that this is going to be a "non diet" for life and if I want to suceed I should be able to have a few naughty things but just make it rarely and very small portions (Ithink she has dealt with fat people before..LOL).

I then went and got weighed and was the same weight as before, she must have noticed my disapointment and reassured me that the hunger I was feeling through the last week was definately fat burning hunger and that I should go home and do my measurements.

When we were discussing my hunger, and that I felt I needed more restriction, she said that they (her , surgeon & fills Dr) really beleive that the 6 weeks initial healing period is about identifying hunger, learning to chew, dealing with textures. She said that in their experience patients that are filled early have a higher risk of vomitting and irritating the stomach and band, causing displacement, and that they really use this 6 weeks period as an adjustment & healing period, not a weight loss period.

I found this frustrating and a little disheartening, but I had coffee with Trish my banded friend I met through a local support group and we decided that 6 weeks is a small price to pay for a band that hasn't slipped..... (Thanks Trish you are a sweety & my banded lifeline... mmmwwah!!)
So now I go back in 3 weeks for another appointment with ddietitian and then I get to see Dr Tony for a fill.....YYYYAAAAAAHHHHHH !!!!!!!!!


Bring it OOOOON......

No comments: