Saturday 12 May 2007

11th May - 2 Days Post -Op

Well... Its done... I am Banded.....

I had my op on Wednesday, I got up at 5.30am got ready and took my kids to my girlfriends place so that she could get them off to school. I then proceeded to the hospital and arrived there at 6.45am as instructed. The nurse took me to my room and admitted me, asked lots of Q's and told me to have a shower and hop in the gown and relax. She then came back about an hour later and took me to be weighed... 114.2kg was the outcome, and then put the T.E.D stockings on , I then went back to my bed unpacked my gear and read my book till the dietitian came by and made sure I was aware of everything, asked me what I liked and disliked food wise and filled out my menu for the next 2 days.
They came and got me for surgery about 8.45am popped me on the trolley and as soon as they put the warm blankie on me my eyes started to shut (the last couple of days were catching up on me). The trolley sat outside the O.R for about 15min while I snoozed, and at one stage I heard a nurse comment that the pre-op needle must have worked quickly, in which I answered Naaah just tired. She said I was the most chilled out (non drugged) patient she had seen in ages.
Before I knew it I was back in my room, and slept until later in the afternoon when I had a visit from my girlfriend from work. I was still terribly groggy, god knows what I was saying to the poor girl. I got up a little later and changed into my PJ's and started sip sip sipping water. The pain wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be, but it was uncomfortable. I couldn't decide if it was wind, pain or pressure, but I just moaned and they drugged me up (gotta love the drugs !!)
I slept quiet restlessly the first night, especially as the painkillers started to wear off. They were giving me endone every 4 hrs, which made me sleep, but the best thing they gave me was the Zofran wafers for the nausea, even though I didn't actually feel really nauseous as soon as I had them the pain, pressure and yukky feeling I had seemed to go away.
Moving around wasn't to bad, I had expected it to be similar to when I had My Caesars, and it was nothing like it. Getting in and out of the bed and showering myself was fine, except when the drugs were in full swing....

No comments: